Monday 5 January 2015

Zero to running memcached in 10 minutes (if you have a good download speed)

In two weeks I am moving to a Scala job. Someone suggested that a nice way to get started with a new language is to implement a 'mini memcached'. Open a socket, send some key/value pairs, store in a hash map: the idea is it's good to do a bit of network programming and get exposed to some libraries (collections, concurrency etc). I haven't quite figured out the spec for my mini memcached but to start, I though I'd try sending some stuff to a real instance of memcached and then swap it out for my mini version.

Installing Memcached on Ubuntu


sudo apt-get install memcached

After doing this the memcached service was running.

When I did this, memcached was not running on all network interfaces by default. Therefore I changed the memcached config file:

sudo sed -i 's/127.0.0.1/0.0.0.0/g' /etc/memcached.conf

Then I restarted the service:

sudo service memcached restart

Telnet to memcached to store a key/value pair


alexandra$ telnet 192.168.2.2 11211
Trying 192.168.2.2...
Connected to 192.168.2.2.
Escape character is '^]'.
set keyname 0 60 2
hi
STORED
get keyname
VALUE keyname 0 2
hi

END

If anything weird is happening, check the log:

 tail /var/log/memcached.log 

Vagrant VM running memcached


https://github.com/apojha/vagrant-vms/tree/master/memcached

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scala with Cats: Answers to revision questions

I'm studying the 'Scala with Cats' book. I want the information to stick so I am applying a technique from 'Ultralearning&#...